Monday, November 12, 2012

#29: Last student choice

In addition to going to Florida for Thanksgiving, we also drive down for about 5-6 days for Christmas.  My dad lives on about 200 acres in north Florida about 25 miles west of Tallahassee.  The benefit of him living out in the country allows us to celebrate Christmas in a special way.  After eating supper and exchanging gifts, my family has a huge Christmas tradition of having a big bonfire that is about 12 feet high and about 30 feet wide, and after lighting the bonfire we light about $1000 worth of fireworks that we all chip in to buy.  What's so wonderful about this tradition is when we leave my dad's house and head to the "bonfire field"; there will be about 50-60 cousins and friends who come to enjoy the bonfire and fireworks.
This tradition begin many, many, many years ago with me, my brother, sister and cousins having bottle rocket wars as children.  Then, as we got "too old" for bottle rocket wars, we began having a bonfire which just got bigger and bigger and bigger each year.  The bonfire and fireworks are a tradition that we all enjoy.  Luckily, my husband (Jeff), Jake, Hannah and I get the luxury and fun of buying the fireworks and we always enjoy going to Fireworks World.  It's like a kid in a candy store, and then we get home and pack them up for our trip south.

No comments:

Post a Comment